Some of our clients who want to add BrideLive as a call to action on their website may not be able to unless they are managing their own content. If you don’t protect your investment by obtaining a copy of the files to your website or the username and password for your website then this can be an issue.
Do you have your domain registrar contact information? Even though you bought your sites domain name you may not remember what it is.
Have you changed your e-mail address? You may not be getting important information on renewing your domain name and the hosting of your website. This means you can permanently lose both your domain name and website.
Here Are Some Action Steps To Secure Your Website:
- Contact your web designer and ask for the FTP information with the username and password to have access to your website.
- Ask for a copy of all website files sent to you on CD or DVD or learn how to download and back up your files to a hard drive.
- If you reserved your domain name, find the registrar and hosting information, and check the expiration date of the domain name. If your web designer reserved the name for you, ask them to transfer the domain name to your control.
- Also, have access to the company that is hosting the site for example a company like GoDaddy. A host transmits your site pages to the computer when a customer types in or clicks onto a link of your domain name. It is essential to have access to the username and password and to be cognizant of the renewal date.
- Make sure the host and registrar has your current e-mail address on record so that you receive important notifications about renewals or expired credit cards on the account.
- When you dismiss or change web masters, make sure you update your passwords so that they no longer have access to your accounts.
- If you own a site that contains a database, such as a site with a blog or a dynamic shopping cart, make sure regular backups are being made.
- If elements of your site were created using layered Photoshop files or Flash, make sure those raw files are backed up as well.
- If you don’t take these steps then one day your site could suddenly be inaccessible or updates can become costly. If you contact a new web design company for assistance, hopefully it’s because you chose to and not because you had to.